A Little Bit About Me...

Hi there!

My name is Mel. I'm a twenty something Western Washington University Alumni, that is passionate about the oceans.
2014 WWU graduate. Bachelor of Sciences with a Marine Emphasis

In my spare time I love to read, dance, eat, bake, go on outdoor adventures such as hiking, biking or kayaking, do arts & crafts, scrapbook, travel, help save the oceans and come up with fun activities for kids.
Marine Ecology Field Trip for CTDs

My experience working with children started back in  2007 when I became a part time Assistant Teacher at a Child Care Center. Since then, I kept working there throughout the years, coming back during each school break until 2014. That job opportunity was a great learning experience. Not only was the staff nice but the director was extremely helpful, and the kids were adorable.  I never really thought about becoming an educator full time. I went to school for Marine Biology and the day care position was just a nice little "side" job for me.

Everything changed in May 2014 when I was offered a summer camp lead position at the Seattle Aquarium. I was beyond excited for this new job opportunity! They also asked me to be an educator for the rest of the spring season for their school & family programs. I basically got to teach children all about sea creatures and how to help conserve Puget Sound, it was like a dream come true! Camp season was one of the best experiences of my life! I got to run two different themed camps for first and second graders: "Furry & Feathered Friends!" and "Coral Reef Kingdoms!". This job opportunity was so rewarding in so many ways.  It really opened my eyes to a different kind of teaching that I did not know was possible. I loved every moment of it! Even the hard, long days were great learning experiences. The staff was incredible, I had access to so many great resources for fun activities, and most importantly, I got to teach kids all about the ocean and how important it is to conserve it. I loved it! That is when I realized that this is what I want to do with my life. 


My main goal in life is to teach kids all about the wonders of the ocean with the hopes of inspiring them to care about and help conserve the ocean. I also hope to help out/reach out to other educators, teachers, parents, etc. by sharing easy, fun educational  activities related to the ocean.

Hopefully this blog will be one step in the right direction :)

By the way, just in case you were wondering, my favorite sea creature is the seahorse, but sea otters are also really awesome!

Sea otter mom & pup by Monterey Bay, CA

Comments

  1. This is a great blog with educational activities for children. I love the information about Sea Otters

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts